Monday, July 16, 2012

Wire, rings and other things

I don't always make my own rings. Yes, sometimes I buy spools of Artistic enameled copper wire, wrap them round a mandrel and cut with wire cutters but nowadays, I buy ready made rings. I think it's more cost effective this way 'cos I don't intend to invest in a jewelry saw to get rings with a tiny kerf.
So I buy readymade rings. This pic is just one box of rings that I have. These are mainly aluminium rings from 14g to 20g in various diameters. My most expensive rings, to date, are also here. The silver-plated saw-cut ones. Haven't yet decided what to make out of those as yet. Maybe delicate earrings 'cos the rings are so pretty even if there are only a few of them.
My material of choice at the moment is rhodium-plated machine-cut rings.
Rhodium-plated for the shine and machine-cut to lower the cost. Yup, saw-cut ones cost more. Also, these rings seem tougher and thus less likely to get nicks from the pliers when opening and closing them. Lastly, I've yet to snap a ring due to metal stress but I've snapped a few aluminium ones already. LOL!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...