Saturday, April 21, 2012

Cheapest clutch ever?

Few NDPs ago, I ripped out the velcro from the funpack. I can't remember which year it was, perhaps the 40th? The one with the Crumpler-like sling bag that had a velcro flap that you could rip off and exchange with another person for a different colour. That was how I ended up with brightly coloured velcro and that was when I realised that velcro can't be recycled for 2 reasons. The sides have too many holes pierced through the plastic and the furry bits get too furry to stick well.
Sadly, it was with this recycled velcro that I used in DD's earlier clutch. After constant heavy-duty use by her, it started to give way and she was asking for replacement of the velcro. Hmm. To do that, I'll have to find the hole that was hand-sewn, unpick it, flip it inside out, remove the flap or rather take it apart and the body too. That's just to get to the velcro. It's almost like making a new clutch.
So, in the meantime, I made this, while I contemplated replacing the velcro.
This is really simple and you can DIY.

Materials
2 pieces of felt from Daiso. I used lime green on the outside and forest green on the inside.
strip of velcro

Cut out 2 rectangle pieces of felt enough to fold over and cover the contents of your clutch. DD's is A4 papers so I used a stack as a guide. The Daiso felt is 60cm x 70cm so I just used 70cm for the length.
Sew on the velcro and then the top of the inside.
Sew the side and flap and then down the other side.
Blanket-stitch.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...