Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Get a word in edgewise

I've been having lots of fun with selvedges these past weeks. First with handbound notebooks, now with mini coin purses. It's a sentimental experience sewing with selvedges as I identify each fabric and recall the stuff I've made before. Each fabric has selvedge on 2 sides and I think I've a couple of hundred of strips that I tried to sort by colour. Some have Japanese or Korean words. Most are in English. The prettiest has colour windows that are shaped like macaroons :-).
Selvedges are really precious commodities, and to think that I once discarded them ignorantly. They're like the root of the parsley, the comb in the honey, the choicest part of any fabric. Before I gush on further, have a look at this:
Found these tiny zips at one of my favourite haberdashery shops. If you look at the bottom left pic, from left to right, Korean, Australian, Japanese, US, Korean fabrics. The one from US happens to be DS' favourite. Blue Lifesavers from Connecting Threads.
Each strip is sewn onto calico before sewing on the zip. It's fully lined with more Korean import fabric but not interfaced since it's quite sturdy with 3 layers of fabric. Added a D-ring so that I can attach it to my key chain :-)
Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...