Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Nut bags?

I'm currently addicted to enjoying almond milk. A chance post on the web got me thinking about it and I bought raw almonds to try. I also wondered if it'd taste like my favourite almond soya milk at Hong Lim Food Centre. It doesn't.

Anyway, I soaked it for 2 nights. Recipe said one night but the next day I wasn't in the mood so I just left it for another day. Basically, I blended the drained nuts with some water and poured into an unfinished drawstring improvised nut bag. I sweetened it with honey and refrigerated it. While it can be drunk at room temperature, I prefer it cold. Smooth creamy texture is just, great :)

Points to take note of 
  • the first time I soaked the nuts I didn't change the water and it smelled really bad. Now I change the water every 12 hours or when I remember to. The first time the nuts smelled fine after I rinsed them so I didn't throw them out. LOL.
  • I estimate all the time so I grabbed 3 handfuls of nuts and soaked them. Added enough water to blend without the blender complaining then squeeze the milk out. I then top this up to 600ml and add 2 heaped teaspoons of honey.
  • I use the munster blender meant for smoothies. 
  • the almond meal, I have been throwing it away but today I'll try to toast them on low heat and see if I can get almond flour of it <updates later>
About nut bags
  • I was sewing drawstring bags and had this stack so I just grabbed one, It's a basic rectangle folded half with both sides sewn up.
  • What I did was flip it inside out, meaning the blended mixture would be in contact with the right side. This was so that the almond meal wouldn't be stuck in the corners when I wash it later.
  • Fortunately the cotton material of the bag I simply picked up was dense / strong enough to withhold the squeezing. I think this is important as I would want more almond out from the nut than water.
  • When I actually sew nut bags, I'll make the U-shaped so nothing gets trapped in any corners. Perhaps with a loop so it can be hung somewhere. Seams will be on the right side and I think there's where the serger will come in handy. Will need to check the material to see if it can hold up too. Don't want it bursting while squeezing the milk out.
Going to the fridge to get my fix now.
Have a blessed afternoon!

ps: that's my solid granny square WIP in the background. Bought a kit off Taobao ages ago and decided to just make solid squares instead of daisies. Found the flat-joined method. Much neater and prettier than my earlier granny square project. About half done now. Wonder if I'll finish it before the weather gets warm again. LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...